Day 4 Update and Pause

This morning our 6 designate riders of Rob Gardner, Rob Crowder, Derrick Francis, Mike Kosof, John Bauer and Ron George left a very smoky Castlegar, bound for Nelson. Castlegar was boasting the highest particulate count in all of North America, but the team soldiered on despite the weather.

After a brief stop in Crescent Valley, the team arrived into Nelson for a delicious lunch at the Kootenay Regional RCMP Detachment. At that time, the Ride committee made the extremely difficult decision to pull the riders off the road across the region for the remainder of the day. Riders were all contacted, and asked to return safely home where they could complete their rides indoors until conditions improve.

We knew this year would be difficult and we never ever want to quit, but today we needed to look out for our riders. They are disheartened to be parked for the evening, and hopeful that air quality will improve overnight.

At this time, we will re-evaluate the air quality in the morning in hopes that the team can cycle outdoors. In the event that they are not able to ride outside, riders will still be logging their miles indoors.


We hope you understand and support our decision to keep the team safe.


Best Regards,


Ride Captain Julio Krenz

« Back to Blog